The mission of the Families of SMA Canada Society is:
- To fund the best possible Canadian research in search of a treatment or cure for Spinal Muscular Atrophy.
- To support Canadian families and individuals affected by Spinal Muscular Atrophy in every province and territory.
- To offer hope by helping families realize they are not alone with the diagnosis of SMA. We understand, because we too are parents of children born with Spinal Muscular Atrophy.
To achieve our mission, we undertake the following actions:
- To work closely with Families of SMA (USA) and the Scientific Advisory Board in our selection of recipients of research and trial grant monies. (research)
- To supply information about SMA to any Canadian requesting it.(support)
- To support Canadian families and individuals affected by SMA as newly diagnosed, during the affected person’s lifetime and the family after an affected person passes. (support and hope)
- To offer support for activities that bring families and individuals together mutually benefitting all that are involved (for example, the annual FSMA conference, SMA Family Camp, Parent’s retreat)(support and hope)
- To support individuals with their fundraising activities benefitting Families of SMA Canada. (research and support)
- To supply members with newsletters from both FSMAC and FSMA (USA) (support and hope)
- To connect families to each other through various methods including our website, through our head office, through our newsletter and group activities. (support and hope)
If you are interested in holding a fundraising event for FSMAC, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for advice and assistance. We have materials and information to assist.